.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Games. Tech. Musings.

Games offline and online. Technology. Random stuff.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Guild Wars: I Fail

Possibly my least-skilled bit of PvP ever last night. Since everyone was busy farming green items in Cantha during the triple drop weekend, noone wanted to play any real PvP.

So I was once again playing a couple of rounds of Random Arenas using the Razorwire ranger I wrote about previously. One particular round came down to me killing the 3rd guy on their team at the same time the opposing team's last guy finished off our 3rd. I'd used my res sig, so now it was just me against him.

He was playing a toucher variant with Life Siphon instead of Throw Dirt. Razorwire really ought to win this matchup since you can Distracting Shot the Life Siphon and just kite around shooting him occasionally. If you get time you put up Melandru's Arrows for a bit of bleeding. He can't actually do damage unless he touches you so that should be pretty much game. Just have to make sure you don't use Pin Down when he has a defense stance.

I lost.

Why? I started out with 50hp after I got rid of the previous guy and so I was focused on my health - one Vampiric Bite and I'd die. I stayed thinking about using Pin Down to get far enough away for Trolls Unguent so much that I spaced out and totally forgot about interrupting his stuff. Dumb.

The moral of this story is that you have to find time to make sure you have a plan for winning even while dealing with micro. I'd have to disable the Life Siphon to win so I'd have to cancel Troll's if necessary to get an interrupt on it.

One last note on this sad tale - when you're playing against touchers, you can normally keep Frenzy up the whole time since Frenzy's double damage drawback doesn't apply against life stealing effects like Vampiric Bite and Touch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home