.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Games. Tech. Musings.

Games offline and online. Technology. Random stuff.

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Games: Cascade

Felt curious and trundled round the Internet today for a bit of nostalgia. Turns out a little word game I wrote back in the day called Cascade (registration required) is still going, albeit displayed in the prime locked-filing-cabinet-beware-of-the-leopard placement I'd expect. The original site it was on was PlaySite, but that's changed hands a few times now and now it belongs to iWin. Cascade is certainly playable but needs a lot more love to be actually good. Still, when I left, it had had about 10 million games played and that was about 6 years or so ago now. I was sorry to see that apparently noone ever found the wacky intermittent tile freeze bug that cropped up occasionally.

Cascade is somewhere between Tetris and Scrabble. My wife was always a lot better at the game than I am - and some of the players out there have notched up 10,000 games or more and are amazingly good. My verbal IQ can be contrasted unfavourably with a week-dead badger's, so it's not very surprising I'm bad at the game.

According to Google, some other bright spark decided to put out a different game called Cascade (in 2002, which if I recall correctly was after when my game came out in perpetual beta) and since that's actually a money maker it hides all the entries for my little game. Alas.

Labels: , , , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger PattyO said...

We players of cascade are devastated that iwin took it off of there site. We want it back. HELP!

12/15/2007 07:55:00 PM  
Blogger Clamatius said...

That's a shame - looks like they finally took it down.

I can't post it because they own the copyrights (and I don't have a suitable server to put it on anyway), so they're within their rights to take it down if they want to.

Sad but true, really.

12/16/2007 02:31:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I absolutely loved this game, it passed away many an hour when I was trying to give up smoking.

It'd be a perfect game to have on Facebook, even with a different name and a few subtle changes.

I wonder if iwin would consider relinquishing copyright as they obviously don't want to use it any more. Seems such a shame to see such a fabby game be lost to everyone.

Can we organise a 'bring back cascade' petition or something. I'd love to play it again.

7/08/2009 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger psshield said...

This was like the greatest game ever. I wish it would come back. I would pay millions for it!

12/04/2009 08:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'd be all for seeing Cascade return and to somewhere like facebook. I think it would be a very popular game there. I have searched for years for a game like or simular to cascade...but no luck.

1/10/2010 06:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss that game. There's never been anything like it since and, man, was I ever jonesing for it after iwin shut it down. I agree with some other posters- facebook would be an excellent forum for it now. Maybe someday...

5/27/2010 05:27:00 PM  
Anonymous jsprty said...

I too, really would love to see Cascade up online somewhere. I've been wanting to play from time to time. What a shame that no one can put it up elsewhere due to the copyright, and instead it will remain offline for nobody to enjoy. What a waste :(

1/08/2011 10:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRING BACK CASCADE !!!!!

7/02/2011 03:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I STILL NEED MY CASCADE FIX 5 yrs later

10/17/2012 04:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sigh! I miss it still. Made lots of "friends" there and was just a newbie when I first started playing the game.

Goldqueen
11/7/2013

7/11/2013 02:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cascade was a good game back 10 years ago... some names I remember playing it were Mizcurly, nvmeqt, Summers, losinsusan, honeyheather among other women. There was even a "cascade addicts" webpage set up for awhile where the women posted their pictures... it was fun atmosphere while it lasted. anyone gals want to recollect, send an email to instocknow2003@yahoo.com

2/20/2016 07:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still miss Cascade and searches for anything that comes close have been fruitless. Always a challenge! Cheers to all who find this page on your search find the best again - 🧡BucktheMule

8/31/2022 08:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WANT MY CASCADE FIX decades later -E

10/16/2023 11:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember you goldqueen ❤️ghostfaceKLR

1/27/2024 07:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember you, buck!

1/27/2024 07:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I played as GhostfaceKLR everyone called me ghosty lol

1/27/2024 07:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home