.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Games. Tech. Musings.

Games offline and online. Technology. Random stuff.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Guild Wars: Still failing to suck less

Another night and a few more Random Arena games playing the same goddamn ranger build. Results were uniformly terrible.

It's always hard to tell in RA when it's just you sucking vs. your team sucking - hence you still see people firing up Mending etc. - but at some point you have to figure the problem is you. Maybe I'm just not to be trusted with sharp implements.

I think another part of it is that the Ranger build, while good, isn't as brokenly overpowered in RA as some other options (namely, hexes and Blinding Surge). If your build is ridiculously good it's certainly easier to propel a less-than-stellar team to victory. In the past I think I've been spoiled by the power of the build I've been playing.

In any event, after suffering through more Failing To Shoot People suckitude I was summoned by the blessed call of the GvG mesmer. Some of the more ferocious and satisfying Galing I've inflicted in my time soon followed, ending up on 3-0 for the night's GvG. Did I mention that I like Gale? I love Gale. Maybe not as much as the iQ guys but I'm not sure that liking a skill that much is entirely healthy. The thought that Gale used to cost 5 energy seems deliciously naughty. Ok, maybe that and sick and wrong.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, by extension I looked up Sausaletus's blog, and there is ALOT of text there!

Though I'd read of The Fiannia's [Fi] crazy pressure build over there, I got to witness it first hand last night.

Notes: The AB build I use, "Tridentstrom" is an incredible utility build. And in the hands of the dude guesting for [Fi] last night, I was simply blown away by the sheer number of knockdowns that are still viable in GvG. Freezing Gust > Water Trident > Glyph of Lesser (maybe) > Gale > repeat = a severely delayed monk.
And yes, they threw in a Meteor chain in there somehow. And you think they wouldn't, oh but they so did.

1/26/2007 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger Sausaletus Rex said...

I looked up Sausaletus's blog, and there is ALOT of text there!

Some of them even make sense!

at some point you have to figure the problem is you.

At a certain point I think it's your teammates. Nice to hear you went on to some GvG success. Before we hooked up and after you left I was having some good runs of my own (8 and 9 wins respectively so still no glad points.). I'm thinking we just can't play together because our collective sucking propagates exponentially and threatens to shatter the time space barrier extend backwards in time and retroactively make everyone playing the game ever so slightly worse.

I love Gale. Maybe not as much as the iQ guys but I'm not sure that liking a skill that much is entirely healthy

Maybe if that harlot Gale put on some sensible clothing instead of dressing that way, it wouldn't be so popular with all the boys.

Seriously, awesome skill. Insane at 5 energy but it was really the exhaustion mechanics that made it pop. It's a ranged "screw them over" with a quick cooldown, what's not to love?

Still, the sexiest skill in game is Mending. I keep telling them they've got to nerf that stuff but, no, they won't listen to me.

Water Trident

Did you check it out with the projectile movement buff over the test weekend? in-freaking-credible.

Still not quite as lethal as it was way once upon a time, though. Man, there used to be a time in the BWEs when you'd Arcane Echo that and just chaingun someone into dust. Really fun with a lot of fast casting on a M/E, too, by the way.

The game was a lot more fun before people started figuring out what they were doing.

1/26/2007 08:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home