.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Games. Tech. Musings.

Games offline and online. Technology. Random stuff.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Latest Gossip

Just a little gossip from the last week or so.

Helped out over the weekend with a TV shoot for the Tinsman's nifty AngelQuest game, along with the Rosewaters. Sounds like they'll get a segment and interview on a certain well-known TV talk show in a few months. No, I wasn't on camera, although my oldest son was.

Played some Winston Draft with Izzy on Monday night. I drafted like a total muppet - one of the worst draft decks I've ever made. I'm really out of practice. In my defense, I hadn't played with Lorwyn yet and I was holding a grumpy baby for some of the draft. But really I just sucked. Still fun though - I really love Magic even after all these years. If you're a Magic player and haven't tried Winston draft, you really should - it's the best 2-man Limited format.

The major mistake I think I was making was being too happy to settle for a pile with a playable card in my colours instead of being more choosy and skipping to try to find more removal. Izzy ended up with virtually all the removal and I only had one bomb (which I never drew) so it was a really savage beating. When you haven't played with a set at all, it's hard to gauge the average power level so you can figure out when piles are skippable.

On the GW front, I don't want to give away anything too exciting, but it did sound like the upcoming skill balance will really shake things up a bit. That, and some interesting pricing updates. We'll see how the community reacts. All of this is really making me miss Guild Wars PvP and Magic, I have to say.

The general community reaction to introducing shrines to the arenas seems to be negative, although I enjoyed it on the few occasions I've had a chance to try it in Random Arenas. The 20-point win total does seem too high for Random Arenas though - lowering it to 10 or having an auto-win condition for really lopsided matchups (as in Alliance Battles) would be sensible. I'm guessing Izzy will just take the shrines back out though.

Maybe now the baby is sleeping a bit better I'll try to get in a little bit of pick-up GW PvP. I do want to try to finish Bioshock and move on to the Orange Box soon though. I've desperately been avoiding Portal spoilers but something tells me I won't keep it up forever.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Sausaletus Rex said...

You shameless, name-dropping tease, you.

What talk show, by the way? I'll have to make a point of tuning in...

11/08/2007 04:40:00 PM  
Blogger Clamatius said...

I'd tell you but I don't know for sure that it's public knowledge. Probably is, but doesn't hurt to be on the safe side.

In that circumstance, I keep my lip zipped as to specifics. Suffice it to say it's a daytime show you probably aren't watching now.

11/08/2007 04:46:00 PM  
Blogger Sausaletus Rex said...

Very likely as I don't watch any daytime shows. Not exactly in the schedule. But there are these magical things called "Tivos" which can pull them out of the airwaves and let you watch them whenever you want.

Oh well, I imagine that if/when it shows up you'll flag it up.

It's just an interesting game and I'd like to see how it's handled given the media's usual treatment of, "oh noes, these evil games are leading our impressionable children astray into a life of reclusive satanism. Won't someone think of the ratings? Children! I mean, children."

11/08/2007 05:00:00 PM  
Blogger Sausaletus Rex said...

Holy crap, your promised skill changes just dropped. Still going through the patch notes and their ramifications but Izzy is nuts.

11/08/2007 05:32:00 PM  
Blogger Clamatius said...

Yep, I wasn't kidding. This is the big one:

Light of Deliverance: increased casting time to 2 seconds; decreased heal amount to 5..70; now affects all party members regardless of Health.

11/08/2007 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger Sausaletus Rex said...

Yar. I was running through the list, nodding along until I saw - Light of Deliverance: Increased casting time to 2 seconds. As someone once said, "You're mad, Izzy. I love it."

Making LoD interrupt bait pretty much kills it. They haven't taken the nerf bat to a skill that brutally in a while. Throw in the patch effect of people flocking from nerfs towards buffs and, wow, that's a big change.

I'm a bit concerned, though, since LoD was one of those things really helping to stabilize the game. And some of the other healing elites might have been overpowered to compensate. WoH, for example. Nearly 300 health every 4 seconds for only 5 energy? Not being able to target held that in check, meant you could still spike out the infuser, but now?

11/09/2007 04:47:00 AM  
Blogger Sausaletus Rex said...

This the pricing stuff you were talking about, oh connected bi-valved one? If it is, I have to say I'm not impressed.

11/14/2007 04:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home